I’m the kind of person who loves smiling. Someone once even called me “Happy” because that’s how I usually am. No matter how bad a situation is, no matter how annoyed I get because of unfortunate happenings, no matter how stressed I am, I make it a point that I smile everyday. I know a lot of people think I’m hard to please (and hard to reach) but the people closest to me know very well how modest my happiness is. Smiling does not only relay our happiness to people but it also reduces stress and makes us more attractive (who wouldn’t want that anyway?).
I know the things that make us smile may vary because of our differences. But as for me, here are five of the things that never fail to make me smile.
- Being a blessing to others. If there’s one thing that can really make a dull day turn into an extraordinary one, it’s being a blessing to others. It happened to me a couple of times already. All of us know how stressful it is being a student and I’ve had my fair share of that stress that sometimes I become so serious. But knowing I’ve helped someone, whether an acquaintance, friend, loved one or even a stranger, it can surely turn a frown upside down! And besides, happiness is not best felt alone, it’s best felt when shared with others.
- Memories. Who wouldn’t smile at things that really made us happy a few days, weeks, months, and even years ago? Your sixth birthday with a complete family. Your very first day in school. The day you met your best friend. The day you graduated in high school. Your 18th birthday. Your college graduation.Your first job. A sudden trip. A spontaneous date. And the list goes on. I believe what makes these memories special is the fact that it once made us so ecstatic that it will always have a way of coming back to us, a way of always making us feel that happiness again.
- My Favorite Things. I won’t go on elaborating what my favorite things are because it might consume this post. Basics would be music, the color green, food I love to eat, my favorite TV shows, books, literature, movies, and others. They became my favorite things for a reason and that is what makes me who I am. So if you want to make me smile, better know what’s in that list (lol).
- The Simple Things. An old couple sitting, laughing their hearts out in a coffee shop. A small girl dancing carelessly despite the large amount of people watching her. A stranger helping an elder. A random man offering someone a seat. A short, sweet good morning message. This is where every little thing falls under. I love seeing candid moments in person. The mere existence of the people I love, the people who stay even when it gets really hard to put up with my insanity and my mood swings, and pretty much everything else in between. I firmly believe it’s the simple things that we often take for granted that have the best power in making us smile.
- God’s unfailing love, His sovereignty, His sufficient grace. No day will ever go by without me praising and thanking God for His greatness and His wonderful love for me. The mere thought that God loves an undeserving worm such as I, enough to give me a place in heaven, now that’s something to really make one happy. You might find it weird if you see me having my morning and night devotions because I almost always let out a sudden smile. It’s the same reason everyday: His Word reminds me everyday of how merciful and loving He is, how unceasingly faithful He is even at times when I become unfaithful to Him.
Isn’t it such a nice thing to talk about happiness and the things that make me smile? It’s giving others a chance to evaluate what makes them smile, even when they’re unaware of it. So now, I’m tagging anyone else who read this post! I challenge you to post 5 things that make you smile. Post it on Facebook, a 5-part tweet list, a blog post, an Instagram upload – anywhere you feel most comfortable and comment down the link! I’d love to know what makes other people smile!
Note: Photo not mine, got it here [x]. I just edited it.