On Art-Opened Doors: Pinto Art Museum

October 10, 2015

Nichole and I went to Pinto Art Museum for his birthday two months ago. It honestly felt like mine because I’ve been bugging him for months already about going there. So when we had the chance to actually cross this off from our list, we grabbed it.

I’ve been seeing a lot of friends and people I follow on Instagram who already went there + I’ve read through a bunch of articles labeling it as a place that’s a must to visit. We went there around 2 or 3 in the afternoon by car and since it was a weekday, there were only a few people around (including two couples who were having their prenup photos taken there).

We paid P180 each for the entrance and we were given a menu for the Pinto Cafe and a map of the place. We actually had no idea where to start but we tried to look at all galleries possible so we just went straight ahead from where the shop/main office was. Some artworks were for sale (and I still think they are now) and if ever someone was interested in purchasing any of it, the shop was the place to ask how much it would cost.

I took a lot of photos (and I mean a lot!!!) but I’ll only be sharing my favorite ones. I only used my phone (Sony Xperia Z3) and edited them in VSCOCam. Almost every corner of Pinto Art Museum was really picturesque that’s why I have a lot of photos during our trip there (183 to be exact, so trust me, it was so hard to choose photos for this post). Not only were the artworks Instagram-worthy, but the whole place was.!!!

Meditation Garden

Before proceeding to the galleries, we passed by a chapel (which I was not able to take a picture of because there were construction workers near it) and then went straight ahead to a meditation garden dedicated to Leonor Rivera and Dr. Jose Rizal. There was also a Rizal Cafe there. We weren’t able to take photos of the actual place because there were people sitting in the table outside of the cafe which I presumed were students doing a project.

Artworks outside of the Galleries

There were artworks outside of almost every spot. I love how the place was filled with trees because I love green so much. I was really scared to go near the one near the pond because I was afraid frogs would jump out of it (my friends know how much I am afraid of frogs.

Now before I go on and write about the galleries, I would like to be really honest that I cannot provide you with  an in-depth description of each one of them because I’m not really an expert in critiquing art. I don’t even know how to draw a decent person! But I really know how to appreciate good ones when I see them.

There were five galleries inside Pinto Art Museum. I love that it was all organized and that all works depicting one idea/theme were all in one place.

Gallery 1

This gallery was more on paintings (we specially loved the big painting at the end of this post 😉 ) showcasing different Filipino activities. Upon seeing the big painting on the wall, I could not help but say “Wow!” like a little child. It was breathtaking.

Gallery 2

The second one was more on mixed media (OMG, my MAPEH teachers in highschool will be so proud I still remember this HAHA): paintings, sculptures, and other objects. Each painting on the wall had its own story, and the sculptures around the place were really interesting. We were trying to imagine how each was made.

Gallery 3

The next one had some paintings and wired sculptures. I feel especially drawn to the wired sculptures because if you look closely, you’ll see the intricacy and detail the artist(/s) applied on each artwork.

2015-08-13 11.57.48 1

Galleries 4 and 5

The last two galleries contained what I deemed were mostly abstract and modern art. I sometimes ask myself why my sister got the artistic genes instead of me. Being surrounded by artworks like this, and to think of the possibility that some of the artists are of the same age as me, it just makes me want to be good at it too!

2015-08-13 11.50.00 2

My Favorites

Among those five galleries, the paintings and pieces below are my favorites. I figured I was drawn more closely to the wire artworks because they seemed like real people minus all the missing body parts. But I have to say, I was really amazed with it!

Museum of Indigenous Art

There was also a part of Pinto Art that featured indigenous art. I find it quite appealing that these have been produced way back. There were textiles hung around this place, majestic pieces of art, and even jewelry!

Some photos outside of the Galleries

Here’s a good look around the place. I see why a lot of couples want their prenup photos taken here. It gives you that vintage-ish vibe which is perfect for romantic photos! I love how the Museum of Indigenous Art looked like a Greek house. And the gardens are but beauties.

2015-08-13 11.57.31 13

My Overall Experience

I had an amazing time. The excitement I felt about this place months before we actually went there? Well, it didn’t go down the drain. I was not disappointed at all. No matter how tiring it was to actually walk around, take pictures, and admire the beauty of each artwork (and oh, don’t you worry about that because they have resting places in each gallery!), it was all worth it!

You might have noticed that I didn’t post anything about the food. It was because before we went there, we just ate our lunch. Halfway through our visit there, we only ordered shakes in the Pinto Cafe because we were still full and we were only thirsty. I think there are about three cafes inside so you don’t have to worry about getting hungry.

Before I end this post, here’s my favorite photo of us while we were there. It’s a struggle not having a camera fit for self-timers or a tripod for the phone. I really think I need to consider buying a GoPro soon. LOL.

You might find the title of this post weird because obviously, how can art literally open a door? I’m not being literal. I say art-opened doors because the artworks in this museum can actually open the doors of a person’s heart, mind, and soul. It’s not just there for the sake of display or Instagram. When you stare at each artwork for a long time, it just makes you feel something. I felt really drawn to a few of the artworks and they still have the same effect on me whenever I browse through my Pinto Art photos.

Glad we were able to come here. Pinto Art made my growing interest for art deeper. 🙂

Pinto Art Museum

1 Sierra Madre St., Grand Heights Subdivision, Antipolo, Philippines

Entrance Fees:
PHP180 for regular ticket
PHP150 for senior citizens and PWD with valid IDs
PHP 100 for children and students with proper school IDs

Guided Tour Schedule:
09:00 am – 11:00 am
12:00 nn – 02:00 pm
02:00 pm – 04:00 pm
04:30 pm – 06:00 pm

Well that’s it. Where to next? 🙂

• Reply Alyssa Panghulan October 10, 2015 at 4:19 pm

You have no idea how I wish I could visit this place! Huhu. My mom’s coming to the province this Undas, and I was kinda wishing I could come with her but she booked a flight direct from Cebu to Clark so that means if she agreed for me to come, I still wouldn’t be able to come here. Haha. Besides, traffic naman din ata masyado sa Manila pag Undas so baka di din ako makadaan :3 Anyway, love your photos, Rej! I missed reading through your posts. Haven’t bloghopped the past days :)))

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:15 am

I wish you could!!! Tell me if ever there’ll be change of plans. I’d love to meet up with you here in MNL 🙂

• Reply Pearliza Paguio October 15, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I rarely visit museums but these are fantastic pictures. My favorite is the one in the swing! It’s wonderful!

• Reply Samantha Denise October 10, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Pinto Art Museum is part of my museum bucketlist! I love seeing photos from the museum and it makes me want to visit it even more. But I don’t have someone to go with me 🙁 Huhu!! Thanks for sharing this Rej!! <3

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:17 am

It’s awkward to go there alone pa naman! Hahaha. It’d be fun if you’ll go there as a group para more photos of you. Haha.

• Reply ariane October 10, 2015 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been planning on going here for quite some time, thanks for posting this! Now, I’m even more excited to go there :>

• Reply Mary Narvasa October 10, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I’m not into galleries that much but wow this looks amazing! I especially like Galleries 4 & 5. I can see some of those in my room. 🙂

PS. New reader. 🙂

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:18 am

I agree! Galleries 4 and 5 were more relatable than the others. 🙂 Welcome, Mary! 🙂

• Reply Cat October 11, 2015 at 4:35 am

Wow, this is a great looking museum! I like how they have pieces both outside and inside. The outdoor area looks beautiful, and I also like the open and inviting look of the inside. It’s like they want you to take a close look at everything, unlike some other museums. I thought it was fun and interesting to look at the pieces you took photos of!

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

Honestly, I had a hard time choosing because every piece inside the museum looked unique and good! I also love how they set it up to have abundant light. I just don’t know how it would look like during the night as we immediately left after touring all possible galleries. 🙂

• Reply Alissa October 11, 2015 at 7:21 am

Heard so much about this museum over the past months. It must’ve been really nice there. We don’t really have museums like that here so it would be cool to go there!

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:22 am

Yes! Well, Pinto Art Museum is the first museum I’ve visited here in Manila and I wasn’t disappointed. At all. We’re going to visit the National Museum next week! 🙂

• Reply Richel V. October 11, 2015 at 8:26 pm

You finally limit down your photos for a post, Rej! Haha. We didn’t manage to see the museum of indigenous arts – maybe because we didn’t use the map and assumed we covered every gallery. We’ll definitely be looking for it if we ever go to Pinto again! Nice photos, brw!

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:23 am

RICHEL!!! It was a struggle! HAHA. I uploaded everything on Flickr and just chose a few photos from there. Oh, the indigenous museum looked really cool for me! Sayang you weren’t able to reach that part of Pinto. 🙂 Thanks a lot!

• Reply Corinth October 12, 2015 at 8:44 am

Ever since I’ve seen pictures of Pinto Museum, I’ve always wanted to go! I’m sure it was hard to pick the photos to post here. HAHA. I always have the same problem too when doing blog posts like this one!

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 10:26 am

My exact sentiments before! I hope you could go there when you come back here in the Philippines for a vacation. I’m pretty sure you’ll take lots of beautiful photos! 🙂

• Reply Lux October 12, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Oooh, I love museums. I must visit this place.

• Reply Kiko October 12, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I’ve heard a lot about his museum as well but have not visited it. I would want to get this off my list too after seeing all the photos.

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Thanks a lot, Kiko! You really should. 🙂 Advisable to go there during weekdays as there are only a few people.

• Reply Patrick Mabilog October 12, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I love the pictures? What do you use to edit them?

• Reply Rej Relova October 12, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Hi Patrick! I only used VSCOCam to edit the photos 🙂

• Reply Patrick Mabilog October 12, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Sorry to sound so old school but is that an app? Haha.

• Reply Rej Relova October 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

Yes it is! It’s a free app with ready made filters. But you can purchase additional filters. 🙂

• Reply Aurika Matias October 13, 2015 at 9:44 am

Been seeing this museum a lot in my Facebook feeds. Haha. Basing from your photos, the place seems really amazing. I love arts so I will definitely add this to my bucket list! 🙂

• Reply Rej Relova October 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

I’ll be waiting for your post! 🙂

• Reply Ched Dayot October 13, 2015 at 9:46 am

Awesome pictures! I live in Antipolo too, definitely worth a visit! Hopefully soon. 🙂

• Reply Rej Relova October 13, 2015 at 11:59 am

Great! Can’t wait to read about it on your blog!

• Reply JessDC October 13, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Been planning to go there since we are always in Antipolo. Next time I’ll invite the gang to visit the museum. The photos make me really want to go there.

• Reply Rej Relova October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am

That’s right! It’ll be better if you bring your friends along with you! 🙂

• Reply Ten October 15, 2015 at 11:30 am

COOL! I’m already at Antipolo right now. Alam na this!

• Reply Anne V October 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I live near Antipolo and I’ve never even heard of Pinto Art! Will definitely check it out, hopefully I can visit the place soon. Nice shots by the way!

• Reply Mary Charie | Two Monkeys Travel October 15, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Awesome! Now I know why you’ve been dying to see this place! Lovely!

• Reply Rej Relova October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am

You should visit it too! 🙂

• Reply Ronalene October 16, 2015 at 11:03 am

Is the signature on one of the portraits in Gallery 2 says “Puta” ? This had me lmao. Hahaha. BTW, nice post. You covered the experience very well. Kudos

• Reply Rej Relova October 19, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hahaha! Yes, it is! Thanks, Ronalene! 🙂

• Reply Tricia Willa October 18, 2015 at 2:23 am

I have always wanted to visit this museum, hopefully I could visit Pinto before I leave the country. If there’s one thing I noticed from my friend and some bloggers, they kept gushing on how wonderful and lovely the museum is, your does show it.

• Reply Rej Relova October 19, 2015 at 9:33 am

It really is! The artworks are so much beautiful than what you can see in the photos!!!

• Reply Elaine Ramos October 21, 2015 at 8:08 pm

This is my most favorite museum in the Philippines so far!
    I see you have a photograph of the Counterflow sculpture. Too bad it is missing a piece na…

• Reply Superaena - The Monday Grace Vol. 11 November 2, 2015 at 8:10 pm

[…] Pinto Art Museum post won in PinoySecretFiles’ Submit Your Travel and Adventure article contest. I actually […]

• Reply Superaena - Farewell, 2015! December 31, 2015 at 3:59 pm

[…] visited three museums this year. Art in Island, Pinto Art Museum, and the National Museum (I haven’t blogged about it yet, but I […]

• Reply Madz July 11, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I’d love to visit this museum. The last time I was in an art gallery was several years ago in Tam Awan Village in Baguio. I think looking art inspires us to be more creative and expressive.

• Reply Art-preciation at Pinto Art Museum | Aide-mémoire July 29, 2016 at 1:00 am

[…] I first read about Pinto Art Museum sa isang blog na pina-follow ko, nagkaroon na talaga ako ng desire to visit the place. Hindi dahil sa mahilig ako […]

• Reply Maerose JS September 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Wow! That is one big museum filled with wonderful art exhibitions and installations! I love the figures and the installations the most. Looking at the photos, I guess it’s safe to say the museum visit is worth more than Php180. It’s cool that you started with the not-so-interesting part of the musuem and down to the jawdropping part. Sorry, I’m an art buff and I love museums. Who were the artists behind the art pieces? Were they all made by one person?

• Reply ROBERT LEE September 13, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I think this is a year ago no? Me nakita na ako noon na isang blog din pero mas marami kang photos. I agree, the painting sa hulihan, ang laki nga niya. That is really something. Ako din naman hindi naman talaga mahilig sa art pero I’d say itong Pinto is good for one visit for me.

• Reply Teresa Dumadag September 13, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I have read about this museum a couple of times. I plan to bring my kids here when they are older. It looks interesting. It would also be nice to check out the good restos in the area.

• Reply Sheri @ A Busy Bees Life September 14, 2016 at 2:14 am

My goodness! The creativity here is so awesome. This would be top of my list to visit. I really enjoyed going through the pictures of both in and outdoors/ The last one of both of you is fantastic!

• Reply Johna September 14, 2016 at 7:51 am

Been hearing so much about this place over the past year! It’s on my list! Hopefully sometime this year I’ll get to go. Love all the quirky art pieces 😄

• Reply Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy September 14, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I love that last photo of you guys looking at the painting. I’ll agree with you that I like the wire art best. Especially on how you took photos of them, they’re like floating. 😀 It’s good to learn about this museum here as I haven’t heard of it before.

• Reply Me-An Clemente September 14, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Your photos look lovely. It did justice to the beautiful art museum and quirky masterpieces. I would love to visit this museum someday. Maybe this November :))

• Reply Berlin September 14, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Read a blog entry re Pinto museum as well and honestly, that pushes me to find time and schedule a visit. Being inside the museum for the second time (through blog posts 🙂 ) makes me appreciate art even more and be proud of our Filipino artists.

• Reply Nya September 15, 2016 at 4:53 am

This looks like such an amazing museum! Thank you so much for providing us with so many photos of all those inspiring galleries. Adding this to my list of places to visit.

• Reply Zwitsy September 16, 2016 at 11:31 am

To your friends who said that the place is worth a visit, they sure just said it right! with all those pictures you have featured, the museum has so much to showcase indeed. I like the motorcycle with a human figure…