My Skin Care Routine

September 12, 2016

I’m the type of girl who doesn’t have it all figured out when it comes to beauty and make-up. I wasn’t even keen on having a proper skin care routine until recently (which is about two years now). It’s either that or I’m just choosy because some products don’t “agree” well with my skin most of the time or hindi hiyang in Filipino. So when I find something that works for me, I stick to it and swear by it. I’m a bit scared to try new products because I’m afraid of the possible outcome to my skin.

I have to put a disclaimer as early as this paragraph that the products I’ll be mentioning did not pay me nor have they given me products for review. No, this isn’t a sponsored post but a blog post written out of satisfaction from the products I’ve been using.

When I came to Manila two years ago, I had no access, whatsoever, to any of the stuff I used on my face back in Legazpi. Two months in, because of the pollution and other factors, I had the worst case of pimple outbreak ever in my life! I wanted to post a photo here so that you guys can see but unfortunately, I don’t have any during the worst time. So I tried a lot of different things and I deeply regret it up until this day. I wasn’t used to it and it really affected my self-esteem so much. Back in college, having one or two pimples at the same time was already a bad scenario for me. Imagine having almost five at the same time? That’s when I finally decided I should start taking care of my face and come up with a skin care routine.

I’m not the perfect person to ask about what and what not to put on your face. I don’t even know what authority I have to post something like this! But a lot of people have been consistently asking me what my skincare routine and how I keep my face smooth and pimple-free. And instead of having to repeat all of it every single time, I thought, hey why not just write a post about it?

Well, here are the things I use or take to keep my skin nice and smooth.

An Unbranded Soap

This is where I usually get the strangest of stares every single time. Yes, I use an unbranded soap. I use it in lieu of a proper cleanser. I get that maybe you’ll say that soaps have ingredients that are so chemically strong they have a negative effect on the face, well not this soap! I’ve had my fair share of trying out commercial and famous cleansers but most of them didn’t really work well for me, one even triggered a pimple outbreak! Yikes. I’ve been using it since college? So around 3-4 years now.

I use it in the morning and at night after taking a bath, I wash my face and gently massage it using this soap. I do it every single day and make sure I get to clean my face before applying anything in the morning and before sleeping at night. Especially at night! I don’t miss washing my face with it in the evening since I’ve been exposed to dirt and dust the whole day.

How much is it? It costs around P250 per pack; each pack doesn’t have equally distributed number of soaps. They pack it by kilograms.

Where did I buy it? From a trusted shop in Legazpi.

Nivea Toner

I started using Nivea products two years ago when Nichole gave me a few. Since then, I haven’t stopped referring it to other friends whenever they ask me what I use. A lot of people got confused and curious when I posted this photo of two bottles of Nivea toner on my Instagram account last time. I use one at a time, meaning, I consume a bottle first before opening and using the next one. I just love stocking up though that’s why I have two. For the past two years, I’ve been using their Extra White Repair Pore Minimiser Toner. Once this bottle was consumed, I started trying out their Refreshing Toner!

I regularly use make-up (not too heavy though)  whenever I go out for work and leisure so it is a must that aside from washing and cleansing my face, I have to make sure that all the make-up residues are completely wiped away from my face. I use this in the morning and evening before applying moisturizer.  Both of them leave a refreshing feeling after I apply it on my face, which is one of the many reasons why I love using Nivea toners. I tried using a toner from a different brand back in college and after applying it, it left my face feeling sore. Never going back to that one again!

How much is it? P249 for the Extra White Repair Pore Minimising Toner. [Sorry I forgot the price of the Refreshing Toner I’ll edit this post when I remember!]

Where did I buy it? I know it’s available in most supermarkets and drugstores.

Nivea Creme

This is my favorite Nivea produc. I’ve also read a lot of nice reviews about the Nivea Creme in various blogs and watched a couple of videos on Youtube about other uses for it aside from applying it on the face. I have two of this, one I use for my face, and the other I use as hand cream. I have had slightly rough hands ever since I was a child and when I started to use this cream regularly, I noticed that it became softer and a bit smoother, not as rough as before.

I use this in the morning and at night as a moisturizer after letting the toner dry for a few minutes. It leaves my skin soft and smooth for the rest of the day. There were times before that for reasons I can’t explain, the sides of my face, around the cheek areas, peel off and look so dry. Since I started using this, I can’t remember when I last saw something like that. No kidding!

How much is it? P69 for 30 ml, P119 60 ml, and P199 for 150 ml.

Where did I buy it? Available in most supermarkets and drugstores.

Human Heart Nature Sunflower Beauty Oil

I recently started adding something to my skin care routine! This may sound funny to some of you but three weeks ago, I was randomly buying essentials from Robinsons Metro East Supermarket and I saw this. I don’t even know why I suddenly felt drawn to it that I didn’t hesitate to buy it. Once we left the mall and I got a hold of my phone, I started googling for reviews and searching this Make-Up group on Facebook I belong to if anyone has used it before. And then I found an awesome list of reviews and 23 benefits from using the product. How amazing is that!

I use it at night on my face after putting on the moisturizer and wake up with my face feeling so soft and smooth! I even noticed it immediately the morning after I first used it. Aside from that, I make it a point to apply some in my eyebrows and eyelashes as I’ve read somewhere that it helps a lot with the growth and texture of the hair in it. I also massage it around my eye and undereye for lightening and more moisturizing. Aside from the parts found in my face, I also apply an ample amount to my elbows and my underarms. It has a lightening and softening effect.

How much is it? This 100 ml Sunflower beauty oil costs P274.75. A smaller one (50 ml) is available for P149.75.

Where did I buy it? I bought it from Robinsons Metro East Supermarket. I also know this is available in Shopwise, Cubao. I guess it’s available in most supermarkets now.

Myra E 400

Vitamin E! I started taking Myra-E around two years ago too. I was in the drugstore buying my usual multivitamins when I saw a bottle while waiting for the pharmacist to get me a bottle (of the multivitamins). I asked her to include one bottle of Myra-E and then the rest, as they say, is history. A few weeks after, a lot of people started asking me why I was “blooming” and why my skin is glowing. I always answer in a joking manner but the real reason, I realized this only a few days later, is this. According to one of the comments in their official Facebook page, Myra E protects and renew body cells, slow down skin aging, and help prevent premature aging and wrinkling. It stays in the body and works from day to night, continuously protecting each cell, repairing damaged cells and destroying free radicals that can cause further damage. I guess that’s the reason why it leaves a glowing effect!

I take a capsule every morning after breakfast. I make sure that once I’ve consumed the bottle, I immediately buy another one so that I don’t miss a day.

How much is it? P354.90 per bottle (30 capsules).

Where did I buy it? I usually buy from either Rose Pharmacy or Mercury Drug. I believe it’s available in most drugstores.

Water water water! I never really understood the importance of drinking an adequate amount of water until my coaches in the Nutrition Club told us about it and encouraged us to drink 3-4 liters of water a day. Aside from helping us gain our ideal water percentage and helping us lose weight, drinking large amounts of water gives a person radiant, healthy, and younger-looking complexion.

That’s pretty much it! A lot of people find it hard to believe that I don’t get much sleep but I only have the above mentioned products I’ve been using to thank for it. I’m not encouraging you to not get enough sleep, ah. I would gladly sleep 8 hours each night if I can, but travel to and fro from work deprives me of that. You must get enough sleep if you can, that’s really helpful too! Again, as I’ve said in the early part of this post, I’m not telling you to ditch your skincare routine entirely and replace it with this one. I’m in no position to do that. I just wanted to share with you what’s currently working for me in the hopes that someone might benefit from it.

Do you have your own skin care routine? Please comment it down! I would love t know how others take care of their skin. 🙂

• Reply ROBERT LEE September 12, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Hi, Rej. The best way to take care of skin really is water, cleaning up and of course drinking lots. Protection from environment is one reason why there are products being made for that purpose. The only thing you want to be careful of are parabens.

• Reply Rej Relova September 12, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Nivea has no parabens, thankfully!

• Reply Jessica September 12, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Actually, sometimes unbranded soaps are better than commercial cleansers because they are made pretty basic. No coloring, preservatives, fragrance, or mysterious additives. Since soaps are basic and our skin is slightly acidic, just make sure you use a toner after washing so that you won’t throw off the skin pH balance. 😀

• Reply Rej Relova September 12, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I am using a toner. That’s the second item in the list.

• Reply R U S S September 12, 2016 at 8:43 pm

It’s great that at 23, you already have your skin care routine. I’m a late bloomer at this, kind of something that I didn’t take seriously when I was younger because I didn’t have any skin probs. This attitude though, is wrong. Now that I am in my early 30s, I can’t stress enough on the importance of having proper skin care & this includes finding the products that are ‘hiyang’.

• Reply Rej Relova September 12, 2016 at 8:49 pm

I actually decided on having a skin care routine because of the breakout! It sucks that I had to wait around for something like that to happen!

• Reply Gene September 12, 2016 at 9:36 pm

This is interesting for someone who’s also not too “kikay”. I may try some of your tried and tested products. Right now, the Myra E is very interesting.

• Reply Gene September 13, 2016 at 8:45 am

I myself is not so into skin care regimen / routine but yes we have to take care of our skin. The only product I use is Olay as moisturizer. I always thought of trying Myra E, coz of this I just might. And I totally agree with you BONUS tip!

• Reply Berlin September 13, 2016 at 9:52 am

I am also not into skin care. And my mom would often scold me for not taking care of my skin. She recently went to a beauty shop and hoarded lots of beauty products. She encouraged me to get my pick. i got a night mask and also an eyebrow groomer something. Ihihi. Hope To use it and find out if I see improvements.

• Reply Ella September 13, 2016 at 10:28 am

I guess I’ll be buying that bottle of Myra-E soon then! Hopefull it’ll work for me too! Hehe

• Reply Rej Relova September 13, 2016 at 10:56 am

I’ve read a lot of great reviews on the internet about it too! So I guess it’ll be effective too! 😉

• Reply Allison September 13, 2016 at 11:02 am

I also find not all products agree with my skin so I am careful about what I use. I have very dry skin so I never use soap, always a gentle cleanser. I use a similar oil as well when my skin needs a lift. Skincare is so much more critical as we age. I can’t get away with doing what I did when I was 20 anymore!

• Reply Laveena Sengar September 13, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I use nivea myself so I KB it is quite satisfying. As per non branded soaps are concerned it happens that sometimes it turns that way and they give us surprisingly amazing results.

• Reply Sam Coronado (@followyouroad) September 13, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Awesome! Thanks for giving this as a reference. As a self-confessed zero vanity girl, (to a fault) I need my own skincare routine. I think the best item in there is the Myra 400e. 🙂

• Reply Maria September 13, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I don’t have a fixed skin routine. I only use a soap and water to wash my face and sometimes wet wipes and make-up remover if I wear make-up. I think eating healthy and having proper hygiene would also be helpful to have pretty skin.

• Reply Dominic Barrios September 13, 2016 at 10:59 pm

As a guy, I’ve never really cared about skin care or facial care. I do wash my face but I don’t use facial wash anymore. These things make my face so dry and my face get flaky. Recently, there have been products released for men for facial care but never really had the time to study them.

• Reply Amae Guerrero September 15, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I also use Nivea creme! It also works on my skin and it really soothes your skin. And it’s so affordable!

• Reply Veronica September 17, 2016 at 4:39 pm

That is the secret why your skin looks so healthy. Water is a key to good health, beautiful body and skin. It is also nice to hear that you take such good care of your skin.

• Reply Esther of Local Adventurer September 18, 2016 at 5:34 am

I’ve used a lot of cheaper and expensive products, and I agree.. use what works for you. I did hear that nivea creme is so much better overseas than the ones they sell in the US though. They have a different formula I guess? I really like using honey to wash my face. I typically have sensitive skin.

• Reply Wildfire Charm September 20, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Lovely routine! I have loved the Nivea toner for years now. ALso, the soap is making me curious. Do soaps work better than face washes?

• Reply Kris September 21, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I like how laid back this routine is. I agree with you; unbranded soap doesn’t mean innefective, it depends on your skin. One may be good for her but not for theothers. I’m also using Nivea Creme as my moisturizer and it’s just so amazing how soft your skin becomes with this product. It’s a bomb!

• Reply Abie September 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Water works wonder for the skin, definitely true! Also fruits so I always stock up on pineapples and papaya. I also experience bad breakouts sometimes but it usually gets cleared out. Have you tried Korean products? They’re pretty good!

• Reply Kareen Liez September 22, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Apart from keeping your skin hydrated by drinking lots of water, the skincare products you use has a great impact indeed. I also use a soap that can’t be bought groceries or in the supermarket because it has natural ingredient and looks nice on the skin as well.

• Reply Me-An Clemente September 24, 2016 at 12:14 am

It’s nice to have a skin regimen. What are the ingredients behind the unbranded soap? I’m curious. Anyway, I also don’t use commercially sold products for cleansing my skin. I particularly use Nuskin since they don’t use harmful ingredients.

• Reply Nicole P September 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I also have a lot of friends asking how to keep my skin acne free, and all I can say is that aside from awesome genes from my parents, I just really drink a LOT of water, round 2-3 liters a day… It’s funny that when I had UTI and I drank up on a lot of water that 2 weeks, I was told that I looked blooming. I rarely use toners and moisturizers, but I make sure to clean up my face at night as well 😀

• Reply Michelle Bio October 1, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I think Nivea has another toner that I love using! It comes in a teal colored bottle and it smells so nice!!

• Reply Clint October 15, 2016 at 5:27 am

I think I’m gonna try this. My boyfriend uses Nivea products and his skin is really good. I guess Nivea really works.